Sabbatical

Sabbatical
Sabbatical!!

Monday, December 21, 2009

Isumi Shikibu

Cycle 2, chemo #2


posted by Lissa mcKinley on Friday, August 21, 2009 Edit





Good morning everyone, I am here yet again sitting in my chair at 7:30am overlooking the Cornell Rd construction. Do you remember the child's story about a steam engine who worked hard all his life and plowed things up and then became obsolete because he was powered by steam? He ended up heating a school, I think.... Anyway, I'm watching a plow do some beautifully graceful maneuvers out my window. I'm not sure I've ever taken time to notice before. I am wearing my lovely wig this morning because I have to see a bunch of students this afternoon, but I still would prefer to rip it off my head, but I'm getting used to it. I was pouring through poems over the last few days, and I came back to one I really love that seems to be written about just the feeling of vulnerability tinged with--.hmm, perhaps hope, grace, something like that--that I feel very strongly these days. Here it is:

It is true the wind


blows terribly here--


but moonlight also leaks


between the roof planks


of this ruined house.


(Izumi Shikibu)



I think that is very beautiful!

Don't forget to skype me this morning if you think of it!

love to all

No comments: