Sabbatical

Sabbatical
Sabbatical!!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Discerning and Clearing


Last night, we went to hear Chanticleer, an all-male vocal group that many of you have heard of.  They performed in the new atrium at the Cleveland Museum of Art.  By the way, anyone who hasn’t seen this most astounding change at the Art Museum will be amazed, when standing within it, that he or she is still in Cleveland.  Or rather, congratulations Cleveland on a truly outstanding renovation!!  The atrium and other renovations at the Art Museum now invite art and song from across the globe.  Needless to say, Chanticleer, singing without instruments in the atrium to a sold out crowd, was one of the most spectacular events I’ve been to lately.  Their voices are so clear and crisp—we were completely mesmerized.  And I have to tell you, I didn’t think much could get past Priscilla Queen of the Desert: the Musical.  I ask you, what could be better than fabulously sung 70’s and 80’s music done in full drag???  We were howling and dancing in the aisles.  Run do not walk if it is anywhere near you.  I think it might even be better than the movie (if you haven’t seen it, find it. 1994)

Ok, now that I’ve done my morning pages within my blog, I can get on to other things.  After having low platelets as I described previously, I got a few week reprieve from chemo and decided to join dear friends in St. Simon Island, Georgia.  Mrs. Friend has been coming to this part of the world (Sea Island and St. Simon Island) all her life to spend summers in her family home here.  While this home on Sea Island has been sold and a major upscale renovation has occurred to the now very fancy Sea Island resort, nearby St. Simon Island remains a wonderfully low-key, family-oriented, gorgeous-beach-containing place.  Our friends have been asking us to visit for all of our married years (that’s when we met them, and ok, that’s about 26 years now).  Guess what?  I finally made it.

In the short 3 full days I had there, we had many adventures and time to be with each other and talk while greeting the sun every morning with a prayer and a walk on the beach (ok, does it get any better than that?), a simple, delicious meal made by our own hands, and an outing or two.  I was delighted to see Mrs. Friend in her element.  She grew up here and in Atlanta, and she somehow knew everyone and their sister, barber, waiter, and friends.  The deep, deep connections just kept coming.  I’ll stop soon, but we had one set of experiences I want to talk about.  Mrs. Friend had met a woman (B) at a wedding in Atlanta, who had a farm for abused horses on St. Simon Island.  My first morning, Mrs. Friend called B and said that we’d like to come and visit the farm.  After getting lost (ahem, Mr. friend) on a beautiful tract of land with those incredible live oaks dripping with Spanish moss, we found the place. 

Now I may not be able to write this as perfectly as this happened, but we got out of the car and were greeted by B’s daughter N.  Mrs. Friend told her of all the connections she had with B, and N, who we will talk more about, found her parents and within moments, these deep southern connections were discussed, laughed about and we were treated like family and given a most remarkable tour.  Over time, the farm has acquired 17 horses who have either been abused, abandoned, or literally deposited on their doorstep.  The farm is also home to 16 cats, as many dogs, some chickens, and a particularly hilarious sheep named Tounces who followed us around the whole time awaiting a head scratch.  After all that writing, what I really found so remarkable about this place were the people, and the clear-as-daylight calling they each had for this work. 

I was especially struck by the daughter, N, who has a fine arts degree from Columbia, etc, but who has come back to this little island in Georgia where her parents and her roots are.  Her ancestors were big plantation owners right here on St. Simon’s with slaves and the whole bit.  She clearly feels that she is in the place where she was meant to be, working with her parents, and using her gifts with people and animals to create this incredible farm.  She had recently helped the farm become a 501C3 nonprofit organization, and as she described how she would like to reach out to children and have the farm be a living classroom, etc.  if I didn’t know better, I would have said she was glowing.  Not only that, we met her again at dinner, where she earns some cash doing the books.  Dinner is another great story, but suffice it to say that we had dinner with a couple who were connected to both the Friends and N and B, and to the black waiter who sang spirituals at our table (amazing).  But N was now spending time with her friend the waiter, whose people had been slaves on N’s family’s plantation, and they were thinking about writing, filming, or doing something with their intermingled stories. 

When you see someone doing exactly what they were put on earth to do, you can’t help but notice.  I noticed.  A lot.  Clearly money was not a goal here, but the money to support the farm and N’s projects will come because the energy, creativity, and excitement just flow from her and from the whole place; it was incredibly infectious.  I think the Friends and I would have stayed on the farm until someone declared us missing, if we hadn’t had to move on to another adventure. 

But what an amazing lesson!  So that is what it looks and feels like to be doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing.  Funny, I look at my little artist group, and I see the same flow of energy and excitement.  Art saves, no doubt about it, and it also helps us get closer to recognizing what we were meant to be doing in the world; it reveals.  Art helps us discern.

I am slowly realizing that this blog feels entirely right to me; it energizes me and helps me move through the world.   I think I was meant to share my stories and encourage people to read poetry.  I know doctoring was in the “meant” pile for me too, but as my life has shifted around this disease, I needed to shift as well. I loved the Dean thing too, I really did, and it felt right for so long, as I helped students along their way.  But as I have had to shift again leaving the Deaning behind, I feel clearer about  and closer to that complete feeling of rightness, of what I am meant to do (or maybe there are several things we are meant to do in our lifetimes).  Truthfully, I’ve been pushed to change due to health issues, but each change, no matter how hard, has helped me get clearer and clearer.

But I feel a bit naked these days as I work to figure out a schedule for this new phase of my life.  I’m trying to learn how to hold some cleared space for myself, to make a clearing to be present in, while the crazy world goes on around me.  As Mark Nepo says, “it’s like taking the path of our aloneness deep enough into the woods so we can reach that unspoiled clearing.”  I have to accept that some days I’m just not going to feel great or get anything done, while other days I want to fix, clean, and do everything in sight instead of holding space for me.  I won’t ever be perfect at balancing the forests and the clearings in my life, but even a little clearing of time and space goes a long way.  So, I’m trying to get to that clearing every day by writing, doing art, and reading poetry (and really great fantasy/sci fi novels).  How lucky am I? 

I am on to chemo tomorrow, week 2, round 4.  I feel good, but can’t always tell where those slippery little platelets are going to be, so we shall see.  Had another scan this week to help us untangle my weird left-sided neurological symptoms that don’t seem to be explained by the small right-sided tumor I had.  All those right-sided symptoms are much better after radiation, and that is good.  So now we wait. 

In the meantime, let’s get to some poetry.  I love the idea of a clearing.  A friend sent me the Martha Postlewaite poem, and I love it.  I also like how the other two poets  (love them both) use the image of a clearing to distill their longing or to recognize how to live on earth….see what you think.  And go clear “the dense forest of your life and wait there patiently”, and see what happens.

Clearing (Martha Postlewaite)
Do not try to save
the whole world
or do anything grandiose.
Instead, create
a clearing
in the dense forest
of your life
and wait there
patiently,
until the song
that is your life
falls into your own cupped hands
and you recognize and greet it.
Only then will you know
how to give yourself
to this world
so worthy of rescue.

A Clearing (Denise Levertov)
What lies at the end of enticing
country driveways, curving
off among trees?  Often only
a car graveyard, a house-trailer,
a trashy bungalow.  But this one,
for once, brings you
through the shade of its green tunnel
to a paradise of cedars,
of lawns mown but not too closely,
of iris, moss, fern, rivers of stone rounded
by sea or stream,
of a wooden unassertive large windowed house.
The big trees enclose
an expanse of sky, trees and sky
together protect the clearing.
One is sheltered here
from the assaultive world
as if escaped from it, and yet
once arrived, is given (oneself
and others being a part of that world)
a generous welcome.
            It’s paradise
as a paradigm for how
to live on earth,
how to be private and open
quiet and richly eloquent.
Everything man-made here
was truly made by the hands
of those who live here, of those
who live with what they have made.
It took time, and is growing still
because it’s alive.
It is paradise, and paradise
is a kind of poem; it has
a poem’s characteristics:
inspiration; starting with the given;
unexpected harmonies; revelations.
It’s rare among
the worlds one finds
at the end of enticing driveways.

The Clearing (Jane Kenyon)
The dog and I push through the ring
of dripping junipers
to enter the open space high on the hill
where I let him off the leash.

He vaults, snuffling, between tufts of moss;
twigs snap beneath his weight; he rolls
and rubs his jowls on the aromatic earth;
his pink tongue lolls.

I look for sticks of proper heft
to throw for him, while he sits, prim
and earnest in his love, if it is love.

All night a soaking rain, and now the hill
exhales relief, and the fragrance
of warm earth. . . . The sedges
have grown an inch since yesterday,
and ferns unfurled, and even if they try
the lilacs by the barn can’t
keep from opening today.

I longed for spring’s thousand tender greens,
and the white-throated sparrow’s call
that borders on rudeness. Do you know—
since you went away
all I can do
is wait for you to come back to me.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lissa!

I recently came across your blog and have been really enjoying reading through it. There are some fantastic poems here- I enjoyed these clearing ones!I love the line 'All night a soaking rain, and now the hill
exhales relief, and the fragrance
of warm earth'- It really conjures up those familiar, comforting aromas!

I was wondering if you would be interested in sharing your blog on Glipho? Glipho is a new social blogging network that aims to promote the writing of its users and help build their audiences. We are trying to establish a creative community at Glipho, and your blog is just what we are looking for.

As your blog is powered by Blogger, you can simply import all your old posts to Glipho without affecting your existing blog at all. You can use your Glipho account to connect to any other major social network accounts you may own, so you can spread your blog as far as possible. We also use our own social media accounts to promote your content.

If you're interested check out our website at http://glipho.com and have a look around. Please feel free to ask me any questions, and if you would like to receive an invite to set up an account!

Have a great day,

Teo



Glipho Limited
14 Suite 3 D
Docklands Business Centre
10-16 Tiller Road
London E14 8PX


(e): teo@glipho.com
(w): www.glipho.com


Unknown said...

I really am enjoying your new format, Lissa, especially today with your clearing theme. If I scroll down through the post just right, the opaque background disappears and your words are seen in front of the diffuse background photo. Especially lovely to see the poems that way. But you probably know that.
I will send the Postlewaite on to a friend lamenting about his down time, "Society is getting no return on its investment in me." And come back to scroll through it myself, I'm sure.
Glad you are feeling your right time right place right role in life, these days.
Thanks, as always, for the blog and poems.
Hugs, smiles and love to you,
Corrinne

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!