Sabbatical

Sabbatical
Sabbatical!!

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dear Readers,

Thank you, thank you, for reading Lissa's blog and taking her into your hearts. Her act of writing became a sharing of her soul's journey, and she was ever grateful for the audience that helped draw her into further explorations.

However, I must tell you that Lissa passed away last Saturday, November 9th. As she weakened, we moved her from her napping bed in the living room to a small room above her cherished patio, festooned with windows that hugged her. As friends visited, she rallied to give a hug and her loving smile, then slept peacefully until the next visit. We created an art room in the living room so that all family and friends could create some type of art (and all types there were!) to ease her transition and to express their love. At the end, Lissa was resting peacefully and without pain, surrounded by her beloved family, Chip, Will, Katie, Alice, and me, who hung the art around her, read her favorite poems and loved her hard.  I promise, we did.

I thought you might like to see that wonderful room and art as well as all the poetry books and Laurel yearbooks that friends have sent over the past few months. We still felt her presence here!

 But most of all, I want you to remember Lissa like this:

 A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, November 20, 2013, at Fairmount Presbyterian Church in Cleveland Heights, OH, at 2pm.  Below, please read the obituary from The Plain Dealer.

Sincerely,
Brent McKinley
November 14, 2013

-->
--> Elizabeth “Lissa” Dorr McKinley, MD, MPH, age 53 of Cleveland Hts., OH, passed away on Saturday, November 9, 2013.  Beloved wife of Robert “Chip” Gilkeson, MD; loving mother of William Rowland Gilkeson and Katherine Merrick Gilkeson; dear daughter of Alice McKinley and the late Rowland P. McKinley, Jr.; dear sister of Brent McKinley (Richard Levitt) of Stamford, CT; beloved aunt to six nieces and nephews, and cherished friend.  Her long, personal engagement with cancer informed her evolving sense of empathy in medicine and encouraged her “to teach and model humanism in patient care,” particularly of cancer patients. She spoke nationally and internationally on these subjects, helped to create a curriculum reflecting humanism at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine as well as at The Gathering Place. Lissa has been recognized as a superlative doctor, teacher, and human: the Blackwell Society at Case was renamed the Blackwell-McKinley Society in her honor; she was selected by the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation as an Honorable Supporter of Breast Cancer Awareness (2006); she was awarded the Kaiser-Permanente Award for Excellence in Teaching at CWRU School of Medicine (2010) and the Clifford J. Vogt, MD ’34 Alumni Service Award (2012); and she was chosen as a Distinguished Alumna (2008) of Laurel School. Personally, when her disease entered a new phase in 2006, she began a blog, “Saving My Life: One Poem at a Time,” that has inspired many with her poetry, loving observations on life and family, and candid explorations of her experiences. In her memory, the family prefers that those who wish may make contributions in her name to Hospice of the Western Reserve, 17876 St. Clair Ave, Cleveland, OH 44110, or The Gathering Place, 23300 Commerce Park, Beachwood, Ohio 44122.  A Memorial Service will be held at Fairmount Presbyterian Church on Wednesday, November 20, 2013, at 2pm.   

4 comments:

Sarah Strohmeyer said...

That is such a lovely photo of her on the beach in that gorgeous evening light. No matter what, Lissa remains in my memory as a vibrantly healthy person with an enthusiasm about life and learning that I wish I could emulate. Thank you so much, Brent, for keeping us posted and all you have done.
Charlie knows you, of course, but I look forward to meeting you on Wednesday. - Sarah Merriman

Unknown said...

I did not know Lissa well. Her son and mine attended University School together since 2nd grade until graduation. She was a lady of grace, intelligence and generosity and I was always impressed by her. She had real presence but in a quiet unassuming way. The world has lost someone so very special and my heart and my prayers goes out to you, her family and friends. - Carolyn Lincoln

Unknown said...

Impossible to express all that I feel in reaction to this sad news--happened upon this blog only very recently when I was thinking of her on a recent visit to one of my doctors back in Cleveland (where I used to live and had met Lissa at a UH support group back in 1998). I felt an immediate connection to her without ever getting to know her as much as I would have liked as she was busy with her job and family and with raising her two young kids. We were the same age & were diagnosed at a similar time & that makes for a pretty quick emotional bond as young survivors frequently experience. I was sorry when I bumped into her ten years later in Austin at LAF summit to hear that her cancer had recurred but was so glad to see her and to reconnect. When I found this blog a month ago I devoured every page hungry for news of her recent experiences with her cancer and for her insights and reflections--was sorry to know that she was reaching the end and that I was too late for trying to catch up with her again. Accidentally I happened to be listening to NPR after work today and could not believe I was hearing her voice, was so glad to know her end was so well planned and peaceful, it brings me tremendous sadness but also comfort too to know how the story ended. Wish I could attend the service tomorrow but would like instead to send warm wishes and caring thoughts to her family whom I never met, but got to know a little from her writings & photos here.
So very sorry for your loss,
Lisa Anllo

Unknown said...

I wasn't able to attend the memorial service, so I wanted to say that when I was a medical student at Case, Lissa (Dr. McKinley to me) truly made a difference in my life. She helped guide me through a difficult year in medical school with grace and help and compassion. When I walked across the stage at graduation, she whispered, "Don't ever give up".
I am so lucky to have had her as a dean and teacher, and I don't think I'd be quite where I am today without her. I would like to send my love to her family. I am so sorry for your loss, and so grateful for the gifts she gave me.
Mallory