Sabbatical

Sabbatical
Sabbatical!!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My Bad Week, and a Messenger, a Cloud, and an Encounter


Ok, I have had an awful week.  I have felt so week that I have had to get my son to carry me up the stairs, I am short of breath most of the time requiring oxygen support, and I am frustrated because a week ago, I was walking to the beach very happily and feeling completely different. What has changed?  Ah hah!  Only my steroid dose.  My Doc rightfully had put me on a steroid taper, as I described in the last blog, to help me gain some leg strength back, reduce the thinning skin and swelling in my legs,  and stop me from looking so much like a chipmunk.  But clearly there is a balance here, and I’ve passed it, or I’ve arrived at a new dose too quickly for my body to adjust.   Luckily, we have gone back up to the previous dose and we’ll see how that makes me feel.  May take a few days, but I’m thrilled.

I tell you, sometimes you just need a kid.  Two days ago, before I recognized the steroid taper might be responsible for how horrible I had been feeling, my husband and I got a bit of a dressing down from our kids, and rightly so.  I was told that ever since I returned from Mass. I had been grouchy and unapproachable and this made the kids sad and unsure about what was going on.  They also gave it to the hubby about being around a little more and helping with whatever was going on with me.  Then, they both said that we needed to go back to the family dynamics that were so wonderful in May—eating together, being open and clear about what is going on as best as possible, being patient, and just being a family together in the face of the unknown, like we all are. Had I somehow forgotten all of this as I felt worse?  I know I had, and what good lessons to learn and keep learning. 

And then, today, there was the quick visit from my dear, dear buddy (the purple high top gal) who stopped my tears and made me laugh out loud at 8am this morning.  There is nothing like a belly laugh to change the whole day.  Add to this please that the hospice nurse arrived a few hours later, and changed my life again.  She goes right for symptoms and wanted me to increase the steroids even more because what are we doing here?  We are most interested in quality of life!  Yes, she is so right.  She addressed my difficulty in tasting, she upped the steroids, she gave me something for anxiety with the shortness of breath, and she gave me a way to take oxygen around in a car or a walk just in case.  She addressed me.  Ok, I love her.

How about some poetry:

Messenger (Mary Oliver)

My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird—
            Equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

Are my boots old?  Is my coa toarn?
Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect?  Let me
            Keep my mind on what matters,
Which is my work,

which is mostly standing still and learning to be
            astonished.
The phoebe, the delphinium.
The sheep in the pasture.
Which is mostly rejoicing, since all the ingredients are here,

which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart
            and these body-clothes,
a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
            to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
telling them all, over and over, how it is
that we live forever.


Cloud (Kay Ryan)

A blue stain
creeps across
the deep pile
of the evergreens.
From inside the
forest it seems
like an interior
matter, something
wholly to do
with trees, a color
passed from one
to another, a
requirement
to which they
submit unflinchingly
like soldiers or
brave peope
getting older.
Then the sun
comes back and
it’s totally over.

Encounter (Czeslaw Milosz)

We were riding through frozen fields in a wagon at dawn.
A red wing rose in the darkness.

And suddenly a hare ran across the road.
One of us pointed to it wit his hand.

That was long ago.  Today neither of them is alive,
Not the hare, nor the man who made the gesture.

Oh my love, where are they, where are they going
The flash of a hand, streak of movement, rustle of pebbles.
I ask not out of sorrow, but in wonder.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry for your bad turn. And hope upping your steroids has helped turned things around. So good your family can talk with each other. Yaaaay, kids!
What a lovely photo, and poems. Thanks, as always :-)
Hang in there, Lissa.

Unknown said...

I am toasting quality of life and the courage of kids. You and Chip have done good, raising two kids who can tell it like it is to you.

Love, as always, Madge

Unknown said...

Lissa,

we all are holding you and yours as you find your way.

Joanie W

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!