Sabbatical

Sabbatical
Sabbatical!!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Blessing of Spring (James Wright, Reginald Gibbons, Ted Kooser)

Spring!  How wonderful, isn't it?  I even woke my kids up this morning and we all went off to celebrate Easter at a new church.  Now this is really something for me.  I have been attending the same church, off and on, since I was in the children's choir at about age 10.  I have been a confirmation sponsor for several of my friend's children--one a very articulate, well-reasoned atheist.  For the last many years, I have found that the services talk less and less to me, and recently, i have been searching for something.....else.  I don't know if I have yet found it, but I love the two ministers of this new place.  They work together every service.  They are funny, open, intelligent, thoughtful, and acknowledge that they don't have all the answers.  Ok, I like this.....a lot.  We even picked up my mother this morning.  Looking next to me at my 18 and 15 year olds paying some attention, laughing, feeling some of the message, and even singing....well, this is a new thing for us all.  We all even chimed in for a quick rendition of the Alleluia chorus.  Maybe this was a little over the top, but we were rocking it in the moment.  So Spring is feeling really good, and really needed around here.  The snow is gone, green is in, and there are even trees in full blossom.  There is resurrection all around us today, so let's have a few Spring poems to carry this forward a little. Happy Spring everyone!  I know I've sent "A Blessing" before, but it is so wonderful, I'm sending it again.  Check out the others, too.


A Blessing
by James Wright

Just off the highway to Rochester, Minnesota,
Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass.
And the eyes of those two Indian ponies
Darken with kindness.
They have come gladly out of the willows
To welcome my friend and me.
We step over the barbed wire into the pasture
Where they have been grazing all day, alone.
They ripple tensely, they can hardly contain their happiness
That we have come.
They bow shyly as wet swans. They love each other.
There is no loneliness like theirs.
At home once more,
They begin munching the young tufts of spring in the darkness.
I would like to hold the slenderer one in my arms,
For she has walked over to me
And nuzzled my left hand.
She is black and white,
Her mane falls wild on her forehead,
And the light breeze moves me to caress her long ear
That is delicate as the skin over a girl's wrist.
Suddenly I realize
That if I stepped out of my body I would break
Into blossom.





In cold spring air
by Reginald Gibbons

In cold 
          spring air the
white wisp- 
          visible
breath of 
          a blackbird
singing— 
          we don’t know
to un- 
          wrap these blind-
folds we 
          keep thinking
we are 
          seeing through

Late February 

by Ted Kooser

The first warm day,
and by mid-afternoon
the snow is no more
than a washing
strewn over the yards,
the bedding rolled in knots
and leaking water,
the white shirts lying
under the evergreens.
Through the heaviest drifts
rise autumn's fallen
bicycles, small carnivals
of paint and chrome,
the Octopus
and Tilt-A-Whirl
beginning to turn
in the sun. Now children,
stiffened by winter
and dressed, somehow,
like old men, mutter
and bend to the work
of building dams.

But such a spring is brief;
by five o'clock
the chill of sundown,
darkness, the blue TVs
flashing like storms
in the picture windows,
the yards gone gray,
the wet dogs barking
at nothing. Far off
across the cornfields
staked for streets and sewers,
the body of a farmer
missing since fall
will show up
in his garden tomorrow,
as unexpected
as a tulip.









No comments: